Wednesday 12 February 2014

Why Valentines Day is One of the Worst Days of the Year


By Megan O'Kane


I’m going to start this article by stating that I hate Valentines Day, and it’s not because I’m single. In fact, I can honestly say that I would much rather be single on Valentine’s Day than buy into the consumerist crap-fest that is February 14th. Here are just 7 of my many reasons why:

It’s Expensive

Seriously, spending ridiculous amounts of money on extravagant (read: tacky) gifts has the same value as tipping a bucket full of cash into your local river. Prices of flowers rise by around one-third in the weeks leading up to Valentines Day. Would you spend £45 on a bunch of roses for your partner any other day? No. And here’s the thing about roses: they die. Isn’t that a lovely metaphor for your relationship? Perhaps it’s better to go for one of those uber-unique Pandora Valentine rings that no-one else is going to have. They only cost £115 and, let’s be honest, rent money is over-rated.


It’s Creepy

I don’t know about you, but the concept of sending your feelings in a card to either a stranger, or someone who is currently unaware of these feelings, IS PRETTY DARN CREEPY. Last year on Valentines Day I had a box of chocolates, flowers and an “I Love You” balloon delivered to my doorstep...from someone I wasn’t even dating. Unfortunately, for the person involved, the only things that were achieved were an awkward conversation and a new-found phobia of balloons on my part.

What’s Wrong with Being Single?

Valentines Day sends out the message that being in a relationship is what we should be striving for. Only when you reach this life goal (give me strength), are you able to celebrate the day. The marketing machine that is St. Valentine (or Hallmark) heavy-handedly suggests that everyone is in love and, if you’re not, you should be.



Love All Year Round

Contrary to popular belief, giving someone a gift on Valentines Day can be the easiest way to make them feel like crap. Who wants to be forcibly handed a gift to meet the obligatory standards of the day? Show your partner that you love them all year round, not just on February 14th. Are your feelings lesser on April 3rd? Or September 26th?

It’s  a Competition

I’m a firm believer in the fact that you can have a successful relationship without ever being “Facebook official” or telling the world every two minutes how lucky you are because your significant other “treats you like a princess.” Technology these days has made it easier than ever to share the smallest aspects of your life with thousands of people online at the touch of a button. On Facebook, people can share pictures of their Valentine’s gifts and, whilst no-one will say it outright, it’s a competition to see who has received the biggest (or smallest!) gift.


It’s Offensive

When I say offensive, I’m talking about those tacky satin underwear sets and fluffy handcuffs which make an appearance in shops in January and miraculously disappear off the selves post-Valentines Day. What kind of message does this send out? That women will engage in sexual activity only after receiving materialistic compensation. Isn’t it interesting that there are no “sexy” Valentines Day gifts aimed at men?

So what will I be doing on Valentines Day 2014? Drowning my sorrows in wine? Absolutely not. Eating my body-weight in chocolate? No chance. I’ll be getting on with my life as though it’s just any other day, because that’s all it is. An over-hyped date in the calendar, exploited to rob consumers blind.



No comments:

Post a Comment